Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Technorati Monster escaped again...

Today I explored the world of Technorati, the social networking site that has its finger on the pulse of the world's "citizen media" (i.e. the stuff you and I post on the Internet). The last time I checked out Technorati it was mostly a search engine for blogs. You just type in a subject term and were given a list of blogs relating to that term. Now it is tracking "112.8 million blogs and over 250 million pieces of tagged social media." Pretty impressive. You can search blogs, videos, photos, and much more. You can track the topics that are most popular right now ("Barney in Outer Space"...my God, is that stupid dinosaur still around?). Plus you can create your own account to make a list of your favorite items.

I didn't get to explore the site that much because they appear to be having technical difficulties this week (I imagine the Technorati monster as some Godzilla-like creature terrorizing the blogsophere). I was supposed to go to the advanced search and see which blogs were linking to our library's website. Snore. I had much more fun seeing which blogs were referring to my friends' websites. So this is a handy tool to see how your blog is fairing in the blogosphere. Hopefully I can become more familiar with this site once they get their act together.

No comments: