Thursday, June 26, 2008

Just lost the Web 2.0 awards pool at work...

I explored some of the winners of the Web 2.0 Awards. First I looked at Mango Languages, a program that enables users to learn a language including Russian, Portuguese, Japanese, and Mandarin Chinese. Considering Rosetta Stone has discontinued it's remote access to its language programs, this might be a potential program for library patrons to try.

I also tried out My Heritage, a genealogy program that allows users to create their family tree. It doesn't provide the detail that you can get from the paid packages such as Family Treemaker or Reunion, but it's a good starting point for the amateur genealogist who wants a visual aid for the information they're collecting.

There are new programs being developed everyday so it's important for librarians to keep on top of the latest technology that could be useful for patrons (especially if it's free).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Also check out this language learning resource as well, www.edufire.com. Lots of free tools for language learning and if you would like to test out the tutoring let me know and I will set you up with a free session.

Stephanie@edurev.com