Monday, May 12, 2008

Why not round it up to an even '8'?

I was asked this week to comment on the 7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners, a presentation by the Public Library of Charlotte & Mecklenberg County. While I appreciate their effort to get their customers to think outside the box when it comes to learning, I found their presentation to be a bit oversimplified. Of course there are many different skills to learn and many different ways to learn them. We all know that.

The one item I did appreciate, and the one habit I will have the most difficult with, is Habit 1, "Begin with the end in mind". This is especially true when learning about technology since it evolves so quickly; just as you have learned a new program its upgrade comes out on the market the next day. It's important not to become overwhelmed by all that is out there and to focus on one skill to learn. Hopefully, that is what we can accomplish with the 23 things program.

No comments: